Dienstag, 9. Februar 2016

Samstag, 30. Januar 2016

Dienstag, 22. Dezember 2015

Wooden TIEfighter


I toyed around with 123D Make and produced this from a TIEfighter 3d model in a few minutes. Very cool program!

Here on thingiverse...

Dienstag, 15. Dezember 2015

Leather Macbook sleeve


Some more ventures into laser cutting leather. I needed a step up from the laser cut mobile phone sleeve, so I went to notebooks.


I used furniture grad leather I bought from a local BO Concept store. I used white on front and back, brown on the sides.


First try to use a new tool for the stitching as well. I used something like this. I need some additional practice though...

Sonntag, 13. Dezember 2015

Braunbox


I stumbled upon the Tombox, a company that refurbishes old 60 and 70ties loudspeakers, insert an amp and battery and sell them as a mobile sound system. I liked it very much and so I copied them.

I started out with an Braun L450 because I liked the shape, metal mesh front and the thinness (just over 10cm). I inserted an Kemo 18W amp module, 10k poti with switch a a 2.2A lead-acid gel battery. Feet and a handle was next. With that I was feature equivalent to the Tombox.

Then I inserted another one of the Bluetooth audio modules as used in my up-cycled headphones. Now its better. ;-)

To be fair, I did not touch the 40+ years old frequency dividers and the bluetooth module does not really play nice with the amp (some distortions, should be fixable). And its quite heavy, curtsy first to the wooden enclosure and second to the lead-acid battery. But I really like the result.



Samstag, 19. September 2015

Pipedream


I managed to go to the Olympus Photography Playground here in Munich on the second to last day!
I borrowed a E-M5II with 40-150mm f2.8 and had some fun. The coolest installation was an old industrial room full of coloured bands illuminated by UV lights. The photo is a faithfully reproduction what it looked like. Love it.

Sonntag, 23. August 2015

First experiment in lasercutting leather


Another MuMaLab member demonstrated to me how easy it is to laser cut leather. I love leather as a material and wanted to try it myself.

This is my first try, a protective mobile sleeve made out of a thin, soft leather in blue-green. I designed the pattern in OpenSCAD and made it able to adapt to different phone sizes.


I ordered the material of eBay and made the cut on the Lasercutter in the MuMaLab.


The trick is to cut the holes with the cutter as well. That way, you don't need a sewing machine (or the skill to use it) just a needle and some time. I took about 30 minutes to sew the parts together.



You can find the file on Thingiverse. Or if you want to replicate my effort, go to Instructables.




Montag, 3. August 2015

Mac powered drill


I have a very nice Bosch power drill, but that spends most of it time in the Munich Maker Lab as of late, and I needed one for a project asap.

I had a crappy one with a broken battery, and I had an old Macbook battery with one broken cell. So I did the obvious thing, I ripped the working cells out of the MB battery (in which everything was glued together *grrrr*), assembled a 3S lipo pack compatible with my rc lipo charger and transplanted that into the old battery box.


Donnerstag, 30. Juli 2015

Kitchen bench



We bought a nice, loungy corner bench for our kitchen about 6 years ago from Möbelum. Very solid construction, all solid beech. Sadly, the faux leather coat startet to disintegrate a few month ago.


Not ready to buy a new one, and in the certainty that a professional job would cost more than the bench, we bought the material to make the new coving ourselves.

The material we bought is a brown course weaved mix out of linen and polyester, coated with Teflon for added dirty resistance. We bought about 10 square meters.

My father has some experience with furniture coatings and together we got the work done, stretched over 3 evenings and mornings (maybe 8 hours in total).

The result is better as one could expect, seen that neither of us ever did such a big job. We messed up the top connection between the short and the long piece (folded each side the other way round), buts thats mostly it.

The really tricky part was the corner and I think we did that admirably! :-D